Playing a series of videos at specific start times (perhaps with gnonlin? GES?)

Carlos Rafael Giani dv at pseudoterminal.org
Fri Jan 30 16:16:15 PST 2015

Hello,

I want to play a series of videos at very specific times, and the
transition between videos should be seamless (a gap is tolerable if one
video ends way before the next one is scheduled to begin).
Example: Video 1 shall be played at t1 = 12:00 (system clock time).
Video 2 shall be played at t2 = 12:05 (again, system clock time).
If Video 1 ends before t2 is reached, then nothing is played until then.
If Video 1 is still not finished when t2 is reached, it shall switch to
video 2.

My guess: first, set the pipeline clock to the system clock (
GST_CLOCK_TYPE_REALTIME). Then, these start times should be offset by
the base time. Lastly, based on this result, the video GstSegments must
be offset by the necessary amount to ensure they play at the times t1
and t2. A pad probe could probably intercept the segment events, and
modify the segments.

However, this sounds a lot like what GNonLin and GES try to do. Note
that I want to output to a video sink, and that t1 might be in the
future, that is, a gap in the beginning of the playback is possible.
I tried it with GNonLin, but it states that I have to care about gaps
myself. Also, my attempts at doing this with GNonLin failed (pad link
failures), and GES (at least ges-launch) outputs to a file, which is not
what I want. GES has a preview sink, but it is probably not supposed to
be used for what I want to achieve.

Any ideas?