How is the _src_create() call-back invoked?

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 17:56:54 PDT 2015

I am working on a new src plugin for a 16 input Euresys Picolo H.264 card.
It is based on GstPushSrc.  It works pretty well if I only only access a
few inputs.  However, if I create sixteen separate pipelines to read from
all sixteen input, then I start dropping audio packets.

I added a thread specifically for reading from the audio input, and that
solved the problem with not reading from the card quick enough, but my
_src_create() call-back is not being invoked often enough to keep up.  My
GstBufferList slowly grows in size because my 'read' thread is filling it
up faster than the _src_create() is emptying it.

I came across gst_pad_push_list(), but I get the impress that that is not
usable from within a _src_create() call-back.  Is that correct?

How can I either get the _src_create() routine to be called more often, or
push more buffers per invocation?  Should I not be using _src_create(), but
some other method?

The load on the machine is less than 1, so I don't think it is a resource
problem.

Thanks,

John