How to check recieved stream is H264 or MPEG4

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Mon Jul 6 05:32:22 PDT 2015

On So, 2015-07-05 at 21:44 -0700, gagankumarnigam wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I try to write a program for reciever end using gstreamer. Can
> somebody tell
> me how to check a video recieved over RTP is h264 or MPEG4 using c
> programme.

With RTP, this information is usually expected to somehow exchange out
of band... either by fixed knowledge, or by using an SDP or similar
means.

It should be possible to distinguish RTP packets with H264 from MPEG4,
but that's currently not implemented anywhere in GStreamer as that's
not how RTP is generally used... and as there are also codec-specific
parameters that you often need to know and can't guess from the
packets.