starting android development

Chuck Crisler ccrisler at mutualink.net
Thu Mar 19 19:30:29 PDT 2015

I am trying to learn Java and Android development at the same time.
Fortunately, I know GStreamer fairly well. I have the Android Studio, the
SDK and the NDK installed on my Linux system and have downloaded the
GStreamer 1.4.5 ARM v7 binaries. I have also downloaded the GStreamer SDK
and have been looking at ~slomo/gst-sdk-tutorials. I am confused and can't
seem to 'put it all together'. I have read and built and executed (on my
Android phone) some of the pure Android samples, including JNI samples. I
feel that I could convert a GStreamer Android SDK based tutorial to the
Android Studio structure.

Here are the questions that I immediately don't understand.
1. Do I need both the 1.4.5 binaries and the GStreamer SDK?
2. Do I need to build anything to get started working with the GStreamer
tutorials?
3. Tutorial #1 imports package org.freedesktop.gstreamer.GStreamer, which I
don't think that I have. How should I build it, or where is it?
4. Which tutorials are more current, ~slomo or the GStreamer SDK?
5. Is it possible to run something like the command line gst-launch
application on Android to test pipelines and installations?

All guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Chuck Crisler