RTP and RTCP message exchange

Chuck Crisler ccrisler at mutualink.net
Fri Mar 20 06:42:18 PDT 2015

RTP is a media protocol carried over UDP. In wireshark, r-click on a
suspected media packet and select 'decode as -> rtp'. That will probably
cause wireshark to display all packets in that stream as RTP. The header
might (or might not) indicate the payload type. You can then go to the menu
item Edit and select preferences. In the dialog, close to the bottom on the
left is an entry for Protocols. Drop it down. If you are looking for H264
video, select it and you can enter 96 for the probabale payload type, but
don't. Enter something else like 97 and select apply. Then enter 96 and
select OK. There is what I consider a bug in wireshark where it won't
re-scan the packet capture unless you actually change something, hence the
96->97->96 business. That will display your video packets properly. Audio
should be similar. You can enter any number for the payload type, but use
the correct one for your stream. You can do the same for RTCP.

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 2:29 AM, Raman Kumar <raman.kumar at tcs.com> wrote:

> I am using two pipeline to send and receive the video but in the wireshark
> I can't see any RTP or RTCP message exchange only UDP packets
>
> sender:
>
> gst-launch-0.10 -v gstrtpbin name=rtpbin filesrc location=TestV.mp4 !
> decodebin ! x264enc ! rtph264pay ! rtpbin.send_rtp_sink_0
> rtpbin.send_rtp_src_0 ! udpsink port=5002 host=127.0.0.1
> rtpbin.send_rtcp_src_0 ! udpsink port=5003 host=127.0.0.1 sync=false
> async=false udpsrc port=5007 ! rtpbin.recv_rtcp_sink_0
>
> Reciever:
>
> gst-launch-0.10 -v gstrtpbin name=rtpbin  latency=100 udpsrc
> caps="application/x-rtp,media=(string)video,clock-rate=(int)90000,encoding-name=(string)H264"
> port=5002 ! rtpbin.recv_rtp_sink_0   rtpbin. ! rtph264depay ! ffdec_h264 !
> ffmpegcolorspace ! autovideosink udpsrc port=5003 !
> rtpbin.recv_rtcp_sink_0  rtpbin.send_rtcp_src_0 ! udpsink port=5007
> host=127.0.0.1 sync=false async=false
>

> Could any one plese help me out, why I can't see the RTP message exchange
> in wireshark? Do I need to make changes in my pieline above?
>

> Thanks
> Raman
>
> =====-----=====-----=====
> and any attachments. Thank you

Name
*Chuck Crisler*

Mutualink, Inc.
3 Lan Dr.
Westford, MA  01886

Direct: (978) 490-3006 <%28866%29%20957-5465> Ext: 118

E-Mail: ccrisler at mutualink.net <employeer at mutualink.net>

Web: www.mutualink.net

The information in this email, and subsequent attachments, may contain
confidential information that is
intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). This
message or any part thereof
must not be disclosed, copied, distributed or retained by any person
without authorization from the addressee.