Streaming Picture in Picture H264 video from Raspberry Pi

Jean-Michel Hautbois jhautbois at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 12:50:25 PDT 2015

Hi Shantanu,

> Hi guys,
>
> I would like to stream multiple H264 (from Logitech C920s) streams from a
> Raspberry Pi to a Windows computer using GStreamer. So far, I have been
> able to stream a single video stream, using the following commands:
>
> Raspberry Pi Side:
> gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video0 !
> video/x-h264,width=1280,height=720,framerate=30/1 ! h264parse ! rtph264pay
> pt=127 config-interval=4 ! udpsink host=192.168.2.7
>
> Windows Side:
> C:\gstreamer\1.0\x86_64\bin>gst-launch-1.0 udpsrc ! application/x-rtp,
> payload=1
> 27 ! rtph264depay ! avdec_h264 ! fpsdisplaysink sync=false
> text-overlay=false
>
> However, when I try to stream using a videomixer, it seems that the
> Raspberry Pi is processing the video somehow (perhaps due to my use of the
> videoconvert command), and thus I get extremely slow video and gstreamer
> complains that my computer (the Pi) isn't fast enough.

If I understand correctly what you want to achieve, I think you are
misunderstanding what videomixer is doing.
It will mix uncompressed streams. So, from the pipeline you showed, you
will have v4l2src -> decoding -> videomixer -> encoding -> stream.
And the RPi is clearly not able to do that.

You want to have multiple streams in one so, mpegts is one of your answers.
And you will have one channel per h264 stream. I think it is doable with
the RPi.

Regards,
JM