Is it possible to use libav directly through gst-libav ?

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas.dufresne at collabora.com
Thu May 21 16:23:14 PDT 2015

Le Thursday 21 May 2015 à 22:24 +0200, Harry a écrit :
> There are very many header files in the sources folder of libavcodec.
> Which one should I use?
>
> In the Windows version there is a LIBGSTLIBAV.DLL of 52 MB and one
> entry, gst_plugin_desc, so doesn't directly expose libav.

If you need to share the same libav from GStreamer and your application
(e.g. to save space), I would recommend building libav as a shared
library. Then, change the libav recipe (or similar in your own build
system), to link against that external libav shared library (use
configure option --with-system-libav). It is recommended to pick the
same revision of libav as we do in GStreamer though. If you do so, it
is save to ignore the printed warning when enabling system-libav.

Stable 1.4: 8ae0d702a1ba1c3c8d88a29c181f8434f25bf53c
Dev 1.5: 00abc0080d2f5f179f18534713659ce79b22e647

cheers,
Nicolas