gstreamer 1.0 + gio + python on windows

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri Oct 23 00:29:30 PDT 2015

On Fr, 2015-10-23 at 08:41 +0300, Krutskikh Ivan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm developing video streaming applications using subj tools on linux
> on both x86 and arm. Yesterday my colleague asked me if I could port
> it on windows. Frankly, I have no idea.
>
> Is this scenario possible and what features are available on
> gstreamer windows (I'm worried about dshow, and hardware
> decoding/encoding)

GStreamer runs on Windows, and dshow support is available (but
currently not in the binaries).
Hardware decoding/encoding is not implemented yet, that mostly needs
someone to be interested enough in implementing it. It's not really
different from the hardware codecs on other platforms.

Windows specific elements that are available are for sound input/output
via DirectSound, video rendering via Direct3D and OpenGL, camera input
via kernel streaming, and apart from that all non-platform specific
elements that are available on other platforms. With DirectShow (not
included in the binaries) you get video/audio decoders, audio/video
input and video output.

GIO also works on Windows, and the GStreamer Python bindings should
also work on Windows but I never personally tried that.