Why would videoencoder handle_frame only ever be called once?

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Mon Sep 7 00:27:25 PDT 2015

On So, 2015-09-06 at 16:49 +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to convert a video frame into text metatdata (printing
> the time), and have created a videoencoder element in an effort to do
> this.
>
> I have implemented a set_format() and handle_frame() function, and
> they are called as below. set_format is called once, and
> handle_frame() is called once, and then nothing follows. There are no
> warnings, and no errors.
>
> I am expecting handle_frame() to be called once per frame, is this
> correct?

handle_frame() is called once per input buffer, unless your decoder is
not packetized and implements the parse virtual method.

Check the debug logs if more buffers are arriving in your element (in
the chain function), and why they don't get into handle_frame(). Maybe
some kind of error happened somewhere?