Request to add faac to OS X binary

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Sep 9 08:11:24 PDT 2015

On Mi, 2015-09-09 at 17:01 +0200, Peter Maersk-Moller wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have tried to request that you add faac to the OS X binary before,
> but it seems to have gone missing again. I think it was included
> earlier. I did install everything from the gstreamer-1.0-1.5.90.1
> -x86_64.pkg which appear [installing everything] to be the "standard"
> now for 1.5.90.
>
> Many things can be said about faac, but it has been rock solid
> encoder for me for many years, something I can't quite say yet for
> avenc_aac running in the experimental mode as it seems be necessary.

voaacenc is shipped with cerbero, which is supposed to have better
quality and is also less dubious license-wise. At some point it would
make sense to write yet another AAC encoder element around the
Fraunhofer FDK, which supports more AAC variants (including HE AAC).

> So if possible, please add faac again.

Feature requests in Bugzilla please :)