Gstreamer 1.6.2 + gst_rtsp_server Streaming. Initial Delay

Mandar Joshi emailmandar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 22:14:40 PST 2016

Hello everyone,
I want to capture video from a webcam, process it, encode it and make
it available over RTSP. I am having problems with an initial delay
(15-20 secs) when starting the stream with rtspsrc

To simplify things I have removed the processing video part from the
pipeline, so the following are just doing encoding and streaming

Capture Video, encode and make available over shm
gst-launch-1.0 -v v4l2src do-timestamp=true !
video/x-raw,width=320,height=240,framerate=30/1,format=I420 ! x264enc
tune=zerolatency ! rtph264pay ! shmsink socket-path=/tmp/test
shm-size=10000000 wait-for-connection=false

Make stream available over rtsp using the test-launch example in gst-rtsp-server
GST_DEBUG=3 ./test-launch "( shmsrc socket-path=/tmp/test
do-timestamp=true ! application/x-rtp,clock-rate=90000 ! rtph264depay
! rtph264pay name=pay0 pt=96 )"

View on another machine
gst-launch-1.0 -v rtspsrc location=rtsp://192.168.1.203:8554/test !
rtph264depay ! avdec_h264 ! xvimagesink sync=false

Are there any parameters I can set to make the video stream start
sooner? Everything works fine once the stream starts. There is just
this problem of initial delay.

I tried replacing shmsink/shmsrc with udpsink/udpsrc but that didn't help.
Streaming with just udpsink has no initial delay

Regards
Mandar Joshi