[gst-embedded] Using Filesrc for synthesized formats

Suresh Choudary sikkim.suresh at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 20:38:09 PST 2008

Hi All,

I want to use the opensource filesrc element for synthesized formats like
xmf with some audio engine which can sysnthesize the PCM samples. But unlike
the other codecs like mp3, aac these formats needs to be given in toto to
the sysnthesizing engines. (That is the complete file needs to be provided
to the engine in order to generate raw PCM samples). How can I use the
filesrc to acheive the same in optimum way?

I understand that I can incease the block-size of filesrc to a huge size to
make sure the complete file is read at once but is that the only way?

Is it possible for the downstream element to keep buffering the data till
EOS is generated by filesrc and then handle the complete buffer? This may
require the EOS to be held at the 'audio-engine bin' till the PCM samples
are generated and played out.

Please suggest an optimal way since this has to be done for an embedded
environment.

Thanks & Regards,
Suresh