[gst-embedded] [gst-devel] gstreamer plugin license

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 00:12:32 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 10:27 +0800, Liang Zhao wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I plan to port mpegaudioparse and asfdemux in plugin-ugly into my
> product for resale, is it reasonable?

  If you mean whether you have the right... it's LGPL, so yes :)

>  no any license/patent issues?

  Two different things:
  * The software license (LGPL) : If you make any modifications, try to
push them upstream, since anybody buying your 'product' will have the
right to demand the exact source code use to build those plugins.

  * Patents. This is for container formats... and it's, to be honest, a
very tricky situation.
  There are some saying you need to pay royalties (to whom?) and some
not (because container formats are trivial). But something tells me that
if there was any patents involved ... you would already be covered
considering that you must have decoders (asf without wm* decoders is
useless, and mpegaudioparse without mp3 decoder also) for which you
acquired (or are acquiring, or got the usage rights with the hardware
decoders) a usage license.
  Consult a lawyer.

>  if have, after I pay the royalty, is it ok?

  The two items above are the only major items to be aware of. But as I
said, if you're making a product, you might want to consult a lawyer
specialized in that field.

  Keep us informed of your progress and show us what product it is once
it's released :)

   Edward