[gst-embedded] Question regarding creating pipeline multiple times

ssn snara_2003 at yahoo.com
Thu May 14 14:47:38 PDT 2009

Hi,

I am hoping I could use some advice regarding creating the pipeline element
at the start of media playback each time. I have a custom plugin that
performs the media playback. I have a Gtk based UI that I use to display the
media file names and choosing the file to play. I have a module that takes
care of interfacing with my custom Gst plugin to do the actual playback
control. I create a GstPipeline and add the custom plugin elements to this
pipeline whenever a file is selected for playback. After than I set the gst
state for the pipeline to GST_STATE_PLAYING to initiate the playback.

The first time around the media playback starts and goes all the way to
end-of-stream event generation. At that time I delete the pipeline(using
gst_object_unref). And control goes back to the GUI. The custom plugin
elements delete all the resources when the end of stream message is
processed.

So far it looks good. However when I repeat the same sequence for playing
back the 2nd time, I am seeing segmentation violation. I am wondering if
this may be related to not performing the deletion of the pipeline
correctly.

I am running this application on an embedded board with ARM core running
linux 2.6.27.17 connected to a DSP which does that actual media playback.

Any tips will help me make progress.

BTW, I can run the gst-launch app multiple times from the shell prompt.

Thanks in advance for your help.

- SSN