[gst-embedded] Any distribution issues with mpegaudioparse, asfdemux, aacparse and amrparse?

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Sat Jun 5 20:58:25 PDT 2010

Ultimately, anyone answering this with anything other than "consult
your attorney" is... being misleading, probably.

However, in addition to that, I'll explain a bit:

mp3parse: This is in -ugly because it's related to mp3, which has
known patent issues. I expect a qualified patent attorney would be
able to tell you that it's actually fine.

asfdemux: Microsoft claims patents on aspects of the ASF format. I
have no idea if asfdemux infringes any of them; of the four plugins
you mention this is by far the most likely to be problematic.

aacparse, amrparse: like mp3parse, these relate to processing formats
that have known patent issues. Again I'd expect that a detailed
analysis by a patent attorney would most likely end up telling you
that these are fine from that perspective.

Mike