GStreamer plugin licensing question

Dave Smith smithdm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 16:09:24 UTC 2018

When creating a gstreamer plugin from scratch we register the plugin
through the GST_PLUGIN_DEFINE macro, the license field of that plugin
supports:

   - LGPL, GPL, QPL, GPL/QPL, MPL, BSD, MIT/X11, Proprietary, unknown.

Can we create and release our plugin source under Apache 2.0 license even
though the GST_PLUGIN_DEFINE does not support it ?

It may not be possible to release our plugin under Apache 2.0 as the
GST_PLUGIN_DEFINE macro is defined under LGPLv2 and thus when compiled and
combined with Gstreamer, it's Apache 2.0 + GPL which is incompatible.

All advice, much appreciated.
Cheers
Dave