[Gstreamer-openmax] to use HW decoding from OpenMax IL

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at nokia.com
Wed Feb 27 04:39:33 PST 2008

Hi Harsha,

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 09:29 +0530, ext Harsha priya gupta wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to G-streamer and audio stack. I have an audio card that
> supports MP3 and few other types of hardware decoding. I would want to
> use that decoding rather than software decoding. Can anyone help me
> with pointers as to how I can integrate the HW decoder functionality
> from Openmax IL and also what kind of Driver (or ALSA if required)
> changes I would need to provide for the same?

If you can get some very simple example in C where you can decode an MP3
on your audio card, then you can very easily create a libomxil-bellagio
component and it would work automatically with GStreamer through
gst-openmax.

The problem is that ALSA AFAIK is not a good place to develop such
driver. So probably you would have to create your own driver for that.

I'm not sure how such a thing could be possible but perhaps UIO[1] can
help.

Maybe you can ask this question to the LKML.

Best regards.

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/232575/

--
Felipe Contreras