[HELP] GPU Accelerated QtMultimedia on Raspberry Pi 2

Sina Dogru sinadooru at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 01:01:54 PDT 2015

Hello,

I have been reading and trying to create a fullscreen multimedia player for
Raspberry Pi 2 (roughly, a screen with play/pause etc. icons on it.)

So I cross-compiled Qt5.5.1 on latest Rasbian image. Than I tried a simple
media player application on Qt but the attempt was futile. The video
appeared as a series of discrete images(~one image per 5 seconds).

After that I find out that QtMultimedia module was lack of use the Pi's GPU
while decoding. So it was doing a software decode for video.

After some research, I learned that at the build time Qt detects some
libraries that built-on Pi's sysroot and it binds its modules to those. And
Qt recognize gstreamer as QtMultimedia binding. So I guess I had that
problem because of my gstreamer was not doing hardware decode (I had
gstreamer0.10)

So I have downloaded gstreamer1.0 from official Raspbian repo over a clean
and latest Raspbian image. And started new Qt build but when I ./configure,
Qt can not detect gstreamer1.0;

GStreamer 1.0 auto-detection... ()
Project ERROR: gstreamer-audio-1.0 development package not found
GStreamer 1.0 disabled.

I found someone who was is made possible Qt to use Pi's GPU(
http://thebugfreeblog.blogspot.com.t...erated-qt.html
<http://thebugfreeblog.blogspot.com.tr/2015/07/binaries-for-hardware-accelerated-qt.html>).
I am trying to implement it but I also as I read some it is also possible
to use GPU with QtMultimedia if I have gst-omx?

I know that subject have some cursed, but is there anyone out there who has
able to use QtMultimedia module with GPU? I would be appriciate to what are
the specific packages that Qt needs and would recognize?

I thank you,
Sina