fs detection and volume labels

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sun Apr 18 17:16:27 PDT 2004

Hi,

Last week I played around with fstab management through callouts for a
couple of external storage devices. To that effect, I added some code to
detect the filesystem and extract the volume label. Currently this works
for FAT filesystems. So now, before the HalDevice representing the block
device is added, the following properties may be available

  block.volume_name
  block.fstype

which can be used to create a sane mount point name (not that the fstab
management example code in CVS currently use it, but...).

Here's a question: Is this useful, and should we support it for more
filesystems than just FAT? I think it's a pretty nifty feature for both
desktop environments and fstab management; In general and it seems
pretty HAL-like thing to do (e.g. we already detect the format of
optical discs). There's some code in mount_guess_fstype.c from mount(1)
to do this, although it's probably not important to support all of these
filesystems.

Cheers,
David