udev, hal, and usb mass storage.

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Mon Apr 19 05:22:21 PDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 12:55:18PM +0100, Anthony Metcalf wrote:
> Thanks for the reponses, Sjoerd Simons suggested in a private mail,

I did a private mail by misstake and now the message to the list is
waiting for moderation (because i sent from non-subscribed address) :(

> having udev create the /dev/keyfob node with /dev/sd?1 as a link to it
> for compatibility. This seems too obvious to be true, should that work
> without any problems?  I know it will work for what I want to achive, but
> are there possible side effects?

I've been using for a long time and never had a side effect. The only
program that ``notices'' the difference between a symlink and the real
name is hal. And hal ofcourse doesn't really care about how your devices
are named  :)

  Sjoerd
--
The difference between science and the fuzzy subjects is that science
requires reasoning while those other subjects merely require scholarship.