udev, hal, and usb mass storage.

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Apr 19 06:12:57 PDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 08:27:39AM -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Anthony Metcalf wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 07:44:40 -0400
> > Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at cs.toronto.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I think you should look for it under gnome-volume-manager.  IMHO
> > > it should take care of the link, and it should be easy to do
> > > there.
> > >
> > > behdad
> >
> > That was my first thought, but Gnome-volume-manager needs the info
> > before it can do anything with it. It is hal's job to provide that info.
> > At this moment in time, hal does not know about the link, therefore gvm
> > *cannot* know about the link.
>
> Are you sure?  I'm not.  hal sends a notice about /dev/sda1 has
> been added, then g-v-m on reading /etc/fstab notices that
> /dev/keyfob is a symlink to /dev/sda1, so it mounts it.  What's
> wrong with this scenario?  On the other hand, hal cannot provide
> the symlink name, as there may be a lot of them.  Which one
> should it select?

In fact g-v-m doesn't scan /etc/fstab. It simply calls

 mount /the/dev/file

with /the/dev/file being the value in block.device (e.g. /dev/sda1).

The reason this works is that the fstab_update.sh scripts sets the
option user so any non-root user can mount the disk. Which is the way
it should work so g-v-m can run as non-root.

Cheers,
David