[patch] asynchronous callouts

Joe Shaw joe at ximian.com
Tue Apr 20 14:00:17 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 22:45 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Ok - thinking a bit more about it, we should probably callout right
> after merging from .fdi files..
>
> That is, just before adding to the GDL but after the device is named.

So it's possible that whatever our callouts do might be discarded?

> This will give us several advantages
>
>  - callouts can access the device using the UDI environment variable;
>    no one else will know about the device until then (unless they
>    are psychic :-)

They can't do this now?

>  - properties merged and capabilities added from callouts doesn't
>    generate d-bus events / callouts as the device isn't in the GDL

The properties stuff seems good, but wouldn't you want your capability
callouts called as they're added?  Seems like a good separation of
functionality there.  (And then you don't have to duplicate it between
your device callout and your capability callout)

> Oh, I read the code like hald_callout_device() returned before all
> callouts were run?

Yes, but any subsequent calls to hald_callout_device() will just append
those callouts to the queue.

Joe