[patch] asynchronous callouts

Joe Shaw joe at ximian.com
Sun Apr 25 10:58:08 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-25 at 19:39 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> So the changes I suppose that needs to be done are the following:
>
>  1. Remove callouts from gdl_store_changed
>
>  2. All the places we do a hal_device_store_add to the gdl needs
>     to be replaced with the initiation of the callouts. When the
>     callouts complete a callback should be called to add the device
>     to the gdl.
>     The call would look like much the same way as e.g. the function
>     hal_device_store_match_key_value_string_async.

Right, these are things I've already done.  It doesn't really address
the problem, though, that all of the devices are added at once and
basically all timeout at once.  The async call of got_parent() only
searches devices in the GDL, but those devices aren't added to the gdl
until some time well after got_parent.  So as long as those devices are
all added at about the same time (which they are at startup), we'll
never actually get the parents.  See the example in my previous email
for the order in which things are called.

Joe