[patch] support partiton labels/uuids of common filesystems

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Apr 30 10:14:10 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 12:59, Kay Sievers wrote:
> Hi,
> attached is a patch to support labels of msdos, vfat, ext2/3,
> reiser, jfs, xfs partitions. ntfs is only recognized.
>
> The following properties are set if a valid value is found:
> 	block.fstype
> 	block.volume_label
> 	block.volume.uuid
>
> Plese have a look, if you like it.

Very nice! I've applied this; thanks a lot!

I see that the code is licensed under the GPL which, in principle, is
okay since HAL is licensed under both the GPL and AFL 2.0, and we
already got some code that is GPL, though only for the Linux 2.6
backend. (I don't really want GPL-only code in the generic parts of the
HAL daemon)

An interesting, and important, question is whether applications using
HAL (through either D-BUS or libhal (libhal is strictly AFL2.0/GPL like
D-BUS)) needs to be GPL since we got GPL-only code in a single backend?

My interpretation of the GPL says 'no', but IANAL. Anyone got some more
profound insight on this issue?

Cheers,
David