[patch] filter invalid utf-8 characters from volume labels

Joe Shaw joeshaw at novell.com
Thu Aug 5 12:54:18 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 21:46 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> Do I need a licence now? :)

Yes.  You can send your check to the following address...

> Today I've found my first user of this feature. I just got a DVD with a
> 'ä' character, stupid encoded as ISO8859-1 (in 16Bit values):
>
>   http://vrfy.org/projects/hal/invalid-unicode.png

Not bad, although it'd be nice if it actually converted it.  But like
Sjoerd said, it's basically a guess.

How do others feel about an encoding setting that we always try to
convert from?  It'd probably be Latin-15 for the majority of distros out
there, but people could set it to whatever was most appropriate for
them.  Hrmmmm.

Joe