HAL and PPP interfaces

Joe Shaw joeshaw at novell.com
Wed Dec 8 10:17:42 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 18:58 +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
> Most uses today are PPPoE, PPPoA (over Ethernet, ATM) I expect, which
> may fit better into NetworkManager. I'm not sure if HAL really should
> support devices without physical representation.
> It seems a bit slippery, just like firewall, VPN, bridging interfaces...

True, but all this data has to be going over *some* physical device,
right? :)  If it's just over ethernet, it probably makes sense to merge
it onto the network card.  If it's a DSL or cable modem attached via
USB, then probably on that device.  Like Dan said, we are using
potentially multiple namespaces, so I don't really envision any
conflicts there.

But like I said, I haven't used PPP in a while... :)

Joe