HAL and PPP interfaces

Andrei Yurkevich urruru at ru.ru
Wed Dec 8 11:22:37 PST 2004

Joe Shaw wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 21:16 +0300, Andrei Yurkevich wrote:
>
>>Anyway, what I'd like have in HAL is a virtual device created under a
>>USB/serial/ethernet/whatever device node representing the PPP interface.
>
> I don't think that PPP interface-as-device is very interesting, and it
> sort of breaks the model of physical devices in HAL.  Those PPP
> properties should probably be merged onto the PDA device itself.

Ok, you almost convinced me, but that would be not the PDA but a device
in a PC - either a serial port or a bluetooth/usb/whatever device. See,
I need to know that there is a PPP connection available before I am able
to talk to a PDA, and the most logical way of knowing about a new PPP
interface would be querying HAL. So what about adding a "net.ppp"
namespace and merging properties like these to devices capable of
running a ppp link:

net.ppp.link (bool) /* TRUE if there's a PPP link available
                        over this device */
net.ppp.interface (string)  /* name of the ppp interface,
                                e.g. ppp0; this might as well
                                be just "net.interface" */

Perhaps, there could be some other useful properties like
net.ppp.link_name (string) or net.ppp.protocol.{ip/ipx/whatever} (bool),
but I'm not sure if those can be acquired from outside of pppd.

Comments? Objections?

cheers,
Andrei