HAL and PPP interfaces

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Dec 8 20:14:01 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 23:08 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> To me, it seems like having to talk PPP over a serial line to a PDA is a
> requirement for the PDA-sync program. An implementation feature, really.
> And in that case, I think it's perfectly fine to have a hal device
> information file stating this. Then the PDA-sync program, or library,
> can bring up ppp0 (or whatever it will be called) when it sees such a
> device.

E.g., for a PocketPC connected through USB (for example) you would merge
some properties onto the hal device object representing the USB device
saying "you need to speak pppd to get this device to work". I'm not sure
what program would actually take this information and bring up the
connection, but I suspect it would be something like gnome-pilot.

HTH,
David