Plans for hal 0.5.x

David Zeuthen david at
Mon Dec 13 07:51:07 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 16:39 +0100, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> Is there a reason to have it run as an addon, when it would just run
> continously otherwise ? A pmu is not something one hotplugs afaik :)

Well, I think /dev/pmu is bound to some kernel module; ideally the
daemon should only be running when /dev/pmu actually exists.

> The idea i was having is to just let it push it's info into hal when it sees
> the service is available.

That's another solution, indeed. It's also simpler which is a nice

However, the nice thing about making hal manage it, is that it only runs
when /dev/pmu is there and that contributes to keeping boot scripts
simple. E.g. the initscript for your software wouldn't need to rely
on /dev/pmu being available.

hal mailing list
hal at