Plans for hal 0.5.x

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Dec 13 08:34:58 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 17:11 +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
> HAL will only need to use _one_ notification program in /etc/hotplug.d/.
> Multiple instances are run at the same time, yes. This is intentional,
> for performance reasons (think of SMP boxes with a lot of disks).
>
> But hal doen't need to care about that I think, cause every device chain
> sequence is still serialized. Only events for independent devices (every
> single one is still serialized) may be mixed up:
>  /block/sda/sda1 will wait for /block/sda but not for /block/sdb

Ah, so, in other words, you guarantee that all hotplug.d notifiers
for /block/sda are done before you invoke the hotplug.d notifiers
for /block/sda/sda1?

> So you may get /block/sdb before you get /block/sda Do you think that's
> a problem and we need to reorder that?

No, that would be just fine. In fact it would be perfect - what I want
to do is actually handle sdb* in parallel to sda* in hald (which is
possible as the major work will be invoking volume_id processes). How
does that sound?

Cheers,
David