Plans for hal 0.5.x

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Dec 13 09:11:26 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 12:02 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 23:05 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> >  2) Finish the gnome-vfs patch (see utopia-list at gnome.org) to a) make
> >     the one-to-many patch work and b) show icons for all drives even
> >     though they don't have media in them. Also make it not rely on the
> >     fstab-sync program.
>
> And making all drives show up even if they don't have media is a good
> idea because?  I know it would be nice from an implementation standpoint
> due to the broken stuff in the kernel and hardware, but it certainly
> doesn't seem to be a user-oriented decision...  If you can't access
> anything with the drive, why show it?  (floppies are dead remember...)

Consistency: We do show the icon for optical drives even though it works
with automounting.

Discovery: "Oh, I have a drive that does SmartMedia? That wasn't visible
from the indications on the actual computer" (<-- I've been bitten by
this myself, ya know!)

Broken Hardware: Right now we cannot gracefully handle the case with
drives using partitioned media and where polling is a no-no. Sure, today
we cheat for IDE Zip drives by always assuming the media is at partition
four but I don't think that is perfect. If if there is no media gnome-
vfs should ask hal to poll for media (there are several ways to poll)
when the user clicks.

David