PDAs in HAL (Was: Plans for hal 0.5.x)

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Dec 16 14:35:42 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 17:21 -0500, David Malcolm wrote:
> > OK, I committed this; it looks like this
> >
> >  http://people.redhat.com/davidz/pda-usb-serial.png
> >
> > It would be cool to get the whole list of PDA's that Dave got.
>
> What do you need for this?  It was generated from an XML file in gnome-
> pilot, I can rewrite the XSL I used if need be.

I think I should be able to handle that, no worries.

> Or are you referring to getting one of all of the hardware on the list?
> Yes that would be cool :-)

Indeed.

Btw, I found the reason for the two serial ports, it's here

 http://www.linuxpda.com/visor/howto/current/kernel.html

"When a Visor connects, there are two "ports" opened. (For most people,
this will be /dev/ttyUSB0, and /dev/ttyUSB1). The first port (zero), is
a generic connection. The second port is the hotsync port. This feature
allows for future developments; for example, to export a filesystem from
the Visor. A useful thing to do is to create a link to the hotsync port
so that synchronization software will use the appropriate device be
default."

In fact, we'll be able to handle this as the usb-serial bus device can
extract this information (e.g. export usb-serial.port_number) and we'll
be able match that with a .fdi file to provide

 pda_endpoint_serial.port_type = hotsync

for normal operation (gnome-pilot would use this device) and

 pda_endpoint_serial.port_type = palm

for the future development stuff. Of course, we'll have to check all the
serial drivers for other "neat" features like this. Sigh.

So, I'll plan to revisit this issue start of next year with Dave and his
Visor is back from the UK :-), and I've massaged the current hald linux
backend to be more simple (we'll start depending on linux-2.6.10-rc2 and
recent udev pretty soon so stay tuned).

Cheers,
David