misc TODOs for HAL

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Thu Dec 23 15:44:52 PST 2004

Heya,

I have a couple of ideas for things to do in hal, and wanted a bit of
guidance on some items.

Bluetooth:
- adding support for bluetooth (bluetooth_class_device a-la
net_class_device) (that I think I can figure out)
- adding a callout to start the "bluetooth" service when a bluetooth
device is started (at which level should this be added)

Brightness controls:
Plenty of different ways to do this depending on the machines/laptops
(pmu for PowerMacs, sonypi for VAIOs, etc.). As the screen doesn't show
up in HAL, just where should I add this in the HAL device tree?
I'd really like to get rid of the special-case code that's in the
gnome-settings-daemon to do this properly where it belongs (in HAL)

Disabling/enabling wireless devices:
Again, this is different depending on the type of wireless card in the
machine. The ipw2200 driver for example allows this by changing a sysfs
entry (setting /sys/module/ipw2200/disable to 1).
How do I make this available via HAL without adding too much special
casing in the code?

Cheers

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess at hadess.net>