libcap

Chris Lewis burn03 at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 29 21:51:30 PST 2004

Chris Lewis wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am packaging hal for slackware linux 10 and having a problem with
> configure; it fails with:
>
> checking for /usr/share/hwdata/pci.ids... no
> checking for /usr/share/misc/pci.ids... no
> checking for /usr/share/pci.ids... yes
> checking sys/capability.h usability... no
> checking sys/capability.h presence... no
> checking for sys/capability.h... no
> configure: error: Please install libcap and the libcap development
> package
>
> I can find nothing in the hal docs about libcap, why it needs it or
> where to find it, and the page that seems to be libcap's home
> (http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/security/linux-privs/) contains
> no tree for 2.6 kernels. Please advise.
>
> Thanks

Ok so I installed libcap and it seems to work fine. I have run into
another issue building hal that has been mentioned here:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/pipermail/hal/2004-October/001146.html.
Make fails with:

In file included from linux/platform_bus_device.c:43:
/usr/include/linux/fd.h:342: error: variable or field `__user' declared void
/usr/include/linux/fd.h:342: error: parse error before '*' token
/usr/include/linux/fd.h:360: error: parse error before '}' token

According to the post using kernel headers > 2.6.7 fixed the problem.
Surely there has to be a way to build on system running 2.6.7. Any help
is most appreciated.