Can't burn CD when hald is running

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sun Jul 4 11:27:25 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 20:06 +0200, Silas De Munck wrote:
> >  o  Try this commandline
> >
> >        hal-set-property --udi /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/block_22_0 --key
> > storage.media_check_enabled --bool false
> >
> >     with the proper UDI for your CD burner of course. This will
> >     disable media checking, which I think is what may be causing the
> >     problem.
>
> It solved the problem, writing goes fine now.

Hmm, ok, strange, we basically only do a

    fd = open (device_file, O_RDONLY | O_NONBLOCK);
    drive = ioctl (fd, CDROM_DRIVE_STATUS, CDSL_CURRENT);

with device_file being e.g. /dev/hdc and this is what is causing burning
to fail.

Is magicdev running while burning works? Can you try to run magicdev
while burning?

> Can I make this permanent by writing a fdi-file for it?
> Maybe it should be "false" by default, because both my scsi-burners have this
> problem. Is it possible to change the storage.media_check_enabled to false
> only while burning?

The grand plan involves exporting a generic (advisory) Lock() method on
every HalDevice - so, the CD burner should grab the lock on the device
while burning and HAL will respect this and not poll, e.g. effectively
having storage.media_check_enabled set to FALSE.

Implementing this requires some changes in D-BUS, e.g. we need to cover
situations where an application holding a lock crashes - hald needs to
take the lock back and possibly give it to other applications.

Cheers,
David