fstab-sync

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Thu Jul 15 12:18:59 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 13:43 -0400, Ray Strode wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > One of the projects I've been working on over the last week or so with
> > John Palmieri is getting auto mounting of devices with HAL and gnome-
> > volume-manager to work for Fedora.  One piece of the puzzle was to write
> > a replacement for fstab-update.sh in C that generates nicer mount point
> > names and is a little more robust.
> >
> > I've put the result of this work up:
> >
> > http://people.redhat.com/~rstrode/fstab-sync-07-14-2004.patch
> Okay, so I've put a new version up:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/~rstrode/fstab-sync-07-15-2004.patch
>
> that resolves a few issues I discovered with the first patch.
>
> One question to think about right now is that on boot up, entries
> will be made in /media for the partitions of internal hard disks.  Is
> this desirable, or should /media be used for just removable drives,
> and cds and things of that nature?

>From looking at it more I think any device detected by hal and written
out by fstab-sync should go into /media.  /mnt should be reserved for
temporary mounts set up by the system administrator.  fstab-sync should
not add any device that is already in fstab.  This includes devices that
are denoted by labels and not their device files.  If mount can
determine the device strictly from the label we should be able to do the
same.

--
John (J5) Palmieri
Associate Software Engineer