fstab-sync

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awemud.net
Thu Jul 15 15:59:36 PDT 2004

Ray Strode wrote:

>I currently look at the type of disc in the drive for determining mount
>point.  The idea being that the mount point will be /media/dvd when a
>dvd is put in the drive and /media/cd_rw when a cd-rw is put in the drive.
>The advantage of doing this is in the case of combo drives, the mount point
>will reflect role the drive is currently assuming.

That seems like really poor behaviour, to me.  Mount points should be
fairly stable, not moving all over the place depending on things which
users generally don't care about.  Think about all the apps (like the
shell) which won't be able to just display a list of current media, but
instead require moving around in a file selector or entering explicit paths.

The type of medium in the drive really isn't something that's useful to
know most of the time.  I don't care if the data I'm accessing in my
drive is on a data DVD, a CD, or a CD-RW.  I just care to get to the
data.  If/when I _do_ care about the medium, the last place I'm going to
look for that information is the mount point path...  The mount point
won't even be displayed at all in ideal/modern applications.