Goals for 0.3.0
david at fubar.dk
Wed Jul 21 04:57:55 PDT 2004
On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 11:59:10AM +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Hi All,
> I just did some work on the TODO
> for the features that I can consider absolutely important before releasing
> 0.3.0 as well as some features that I'd like to wait with.
> Comments, discussion, wishes and even requests for removal of features
> are more than welcome.
Just a couple of more things,
1. Contrary to what I've said earlier I'm going to work on updating
the spec right away; I'll send out some drafts for review soon.
Once the spec matches the code the code and spec will stay in
sync. This is important.
2. I want to have stable and development versions of HAL, so once
0.3.0 is ready and bugfree we should call it 0.4.0 and branch
it in CVS and do new development on HEAD (0.5.x releases) and
only bugfixes on the stable branch (0.4.x releases).
The stable series shall be API/ABI stable, whereas on the development
branch we can start depending on new kernel features.
Yes this is more work (for me most of the time), but it's worth it.
3. The timeframe for the stable series (the features I've marked in
the TODO file) is mid August.
4. Timeframe for hitting 1.0 is Q1/Q2 next year (sorry for sounding
like a PHB). I've got no idea whether this is realistic but I think
and hope so.
5. The doc/TODO file in CVS is the authorative reference and roadmap :-);
I've changed the one in fd.o Wiki to point to that file. If you have
a feature request be sure to get it in doc/TODO.
6. Patches are, as always, very welcome, more Hackers is always needed.
Especially those that make the TODO list shorter :-)
(In project management mode :-)
hal mailing list
hal at freedesktop.org
More information about the Hal