Goals for 0.3.0

Joe Shaw joeshaw at novell.com
Wed Jul 21 09:25:01 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 18:13 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> But that is only my guessing - I haven't thought a lot about it, I agree
> it would be good to discuss 1.0 goals:-). Yikes, so Q1/Q2 2005 seems
> awfully close now?

Ok, I was mostly trying to get a feeling for whether the timing of the
release was important, or whether we would release it once we had hit a
certain feature-complete milestone.

> Did I miss anything really important?

Don't think so...

> > Is this going to be a time-based or feature-based release?
>
> That's a good question, I suppose time based releases would be a good
> thing given we want stable and development series. I see no cons of this
> really, only pros, but that just might be me :-)
>
> What's your opinion?

Time-based releases make a lot of sense when we have people depending on
us, as part of a development framework.  If there ever is a
freedesktop.org platform, then I think it makes the most sense to fit in
with that.

As for 1.0, I don't think a time-based release makes a lot of sense.  I
mean, we can keep doing time-based 0.x releases forever.  We shouldn't
call something 1.0 until we're ready for it.  (Although sense might
dictate otherwise... subversion was 0.x for several years when it
probably could have sanely called itself 1.0, and that has hurt its
adoption, IMO.)

Joe