[patch] first pass at "Computer"

Joe Shaw joeshaw at novell.com
Wed Jul 21 15:29:11 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 23:36 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Looks good and makes pretty good sense to use the tdl_to_gdl functions
> in my opinion.

Ok, I'll commit it.

> One thing we probably want for the computer HalDevice would be callouts;

I think we get this for free just by virtue of being added to the GDL,
no?

> I suspect external things to HAL like xorg.version, os.name, os.release
> etc. may be set there (by just checking/reading e.g. /etc/fedora-release
> on Fedora and so on). We might want to set stuff on the HalDevice like
> kernel.name, kernel.version in hal using uname(2), I suppose?

Yeah, the kernel stuff definitely makes sense.  There's lots of good
stuff that could go in here. :)

> Btw, I'm just making these property names up, haven't given it much
> thought what to include and how to name it :-). I think that the goal of
> having such properties would be to have more information when merging
> from device information files; secondary goals (crackful?) could be use
> of the icon for "Computer" in Nautilus - huhhoh, /me hides ;-)

Yeah, this would give us tremendous flexibility in FDI files and
callouts by being able to do different things on different kernels and
different OSes.  We might want to special case it so that Computer's
properties are always exposed to callouts, since they're that useful.

Joe