Hal activation

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Thu Jul 22 12:05:52 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 14:53 -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 14:37 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> > Not sure if this has been discuss but every time dbus is restarted Hal
> > dies.  Perhaps hal should use dbus activation whenever someone tries to
> > access a hal service and it is not running.
>
> HAL needs to run as root (or a dedicated hal user eventually), and dbus
> can only activate services as the dbus user, so I think activation is
> out.  How do other dbussy things deal with this?

Hmm, yes.  I hadn't thought about that.  Since hal is the biggest
consumer of DBus at this moment I think it needs to answer the question.
Perhaps not crashing if the dbus connection goes down but instead trying
to reconnect indefinitely or at least a decent amount of time before it
dies.  Is this possible?

--
John (J5) Palmieri
Associate Software Engineer