Hal activation

Joe Shaw joeshaw at novell.com
Thu Jul 22 12:52:38 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 21:07 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> If think D-BUS says when the org.freedesktop.DBus service goes away like
> any other service on the bbus; we can check for this, then gracefully
> shut down and then attempt to reconnect. But we have to start all over
> again.

Yep, it's not too bad, actually.  Basically we just have to call
hald_dbus_init() again.

> However, I want to restructure the code a bit (essentially remove all
> globals to begin with ;-), so it's possible to start/stop the Hal daemon
> and even have multiple instances (a test backend for instance) bound to
> different services names, all at the same time. Then this should be
> trivial to add.

Attached is a patch which listens for the signal (albeit on
org.Freedesktop.Local, which seems a little sketchy) and tries every 3
seconds to reconnect.  The main thing here is that hald_dbus_init()
returns a gboolean now instead of a DBusConnection, but since the Linux
osspec_init() function doesn't use it, it's fine that we pass in NULL.

> But first I need to finish the spec :-)

Yeah, you do that, I'll do this. ;)

Joe