Slow cd

Ikke eikke at eikke.com
Tue Jul 6 03:31:55 PDT 2004

Hija,

I got a "new" computer now, but while testing ivman, got some problems
(well, one to start with, other one isnt hal related).

When I insert an audio cd (doesnt matter whether I got hald running as a
daemon or in console) it takes some minutes (really) before it is
'discovered'. Well, it's discovered earlier (altough no output on console,
but lsof shows me /dev/hdc is in use by hald) and it's added to the device
list. Inserting a data cd alsoa takes some time, but that seems to be
faster.

Starting hald also takes a very long time, and XMMS just stops playing
untill hal is done.

I guess this is something in the media type detection? My drive is a
"HITACHI GD-2000" DVD...

Regards, Ikke