org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod on hotplug event

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Jun 23 14:51:40 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-20 at 00:45 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> Hi,
> any idea what's going on here? I just straced the dbus-daemon and found
> for every hotplug or dev event an 'UnknownMethod' reply.
>
> /org/freedesktop/Hal/Linux/Hotplug:HotplugEvent() is invoked, but HAL
> replies with 'UnknownMethod'. Besides that, it work as expected :)

I've just applied the patch you sent me in private that fixes this by
replacing DBUS_HANDLER_NOT_YET_HANDLED with DBUS_HANDLER_RESULT_HANDLED.

As a bonus it appears that hal-device-manager is somewhat faster :-)
[1], or maybe I just had too many beers watching the football game
yesterday against our swedish, uhmm, partners in crime ;-)

Many thanks,
David

[1] : This one does a lot of round trips as far as I remember; At some
point it would probably be good to write a real device manager in C "the
right way" [2] using a libhal with caching + reading device properties
from the files created by Kay's other patch. Though this is probably
better discussed at desktop specific lists..

[2] : E.g. a "real" device manager with notification icons when new
devices are detected, subtle hints like "you plugged a Hi-Speed device
into a non Hi-Speed port" as the software alerts section of the USB Icon
Design guides [3] states, .fdi file generation, configuration sliders
and other stuff

[3] : http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/icon_design.pdf