best way to determine devices with drivers

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Jun 23 15:44:29 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 13:58 +1000, andrew luecke wrote:
> Maybe I'll also need to develop a database that can record userspace progs
> and drivers for devices or something.. guess it just got more complex.

This sounds a bit backwards to me; wouldn't it be smarter to record what
kernel module or userspace library is needed per device rather than
tracking what devices/libraries applications use? The .fdi files in HAL
might help with this.

Let's see if I understand correctly; For example, if I insert a
removable harddisk and there is a NTFS partition, your software will
download the NTFS kernel module, install it and insmod it? If so, how do
you plan to tell the desktop this (I assume it will take some time to
download etc.)? D-BUS?

Cheers,
David