volume.fstype cleared after unmount

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Jun 23 15:57:12 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-20 at 16:27 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-06-20 at 16:16 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-06-20 at 14:31 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> > > hald/linux/block_class_device.c:foreach_block_device() [line 1533]
> > > clears the "volume.fstype" string after unmounting the device.
> > > Is this intentional?
> > >

> > Nope, thanks for catching that; I've removed that line. Corner case:
> > what if someone reformats the disk?
>
> Good point. Me may at least call detect_fs() after mount?

I'm a bit more for reverting to the old behaviour, i.e. volume.fstype is
cleared when the device is not mounted. And we should change the update-
fstab.sh prototype to just set auto (and patch mount(1) if it whines, I
have a recollection that there were some issues about that on my Debian
box). Hmm, not sure, what do you think?

> If someone reformats a partition or or changes the label with a low-
> levwel tool, seems we can do nothing :(

Then that tool better tell HAL :-), seriously, at some point point we're
probably going to add "Rename" support to Nautilus and other file
managers anyway (the Rename is greyed out in Nautilus today), so we can
just do it there and 99% users would use that. So there!

Cheers,
David