ide zip drive

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sun May 9 13:40:11 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-09 at 17:24 +0200, Alban Browaeys wrote:
> hal never stop polling my ide zip drive. I cannot tell if it s a problem
> with hotplug/driver or hal itself.
> Do you have any idea ?

It seems, from your debug traces, that /dev/hdb1 is removed/added when
hal does a open("/dev/hdb", O_RDONLY), which is every two seconds. And
hal indeed needs to poll the drive constantly to see if you have
inserted or removed media, since the linux kernel doesn't do this for
us.

Btw, I have the same problem with my PCMCIA CF card reader - I'd say
it's a bug in the driver. Perhaps we should add a property
storage.dont_poll_for_media_change that can be merged from an FDI file?
(assuming the driver can't be fixed for one reason or the other)

Hope this helps,
David