[patch] Firewire bus device

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue May 25 10:24:39 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 18:15 -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

Sorry for the delay,

> I've tried to bring back the firewire support, this one all-new since I
> have a little better idea what I'm doing now. :)

Yay, nice, I'd really like to see this happening. Makes a good excuse
for buying an iPod :-)

> Things seem to work pretty well for me, and with the newer 2.6 kernels
> (I'm running the 2.6.4 SUSE 9.1 kernel) there seems to be a proper link
> between the bus device and the block device, so things appear correctly
> in hal-device-manager.

I'm running vanilla 2.6.6 on PowerPC and Firewire with my 3.5" external
HD enclosure still appears to be broken (device tree is fine, but there
is a problem logging into SBP2 device etc. etc.) and from looking at
various mailing lists a lot of other people have this problem at well
with devices that worked under 2.4. Does SBP2 devices work with the SUSE
2.6.4 kernel, e.g. can you mount the disk manually?

Regarding your patch it seems it can be simplified a bit at least - the
kernel seems to have separate device classes for ieee1394 hosts, nodes
and devices, e.g.

 david at powerbook:~$ echo /sys/class/ieee1394*
 /sys/class/ieee1394 /sys/class/ieee1394_host /sys/class/ieee1394_node

So I would recommend subclassing ClassDeviceHandler for each of these
much the same way scsi_host is handled (e.g. a 'class device' that sits
in the device-tree). I'm not well versed in IEEE1394 (documentation
seems pretty sparse) so with regards to what properties we should
export, I'm not quite sure.

Cheers,
David