[patch] Allow devices with no sysdevices

Robert Love rml at ximian.com
Tue May 25 12:25:55 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 20:31 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:

[ Resending from ximian.com; novell.com is not subscribed and list is members-only ]

> > Me too, but from talking it over with Robert it seems like this simply
> > won't happen until 2.7 at the earliest.
> >

> Really? I googled a bit for it some weeks ago and found this patch
>
>  http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0303.3/1548.html
>
> that looked pretty simple. Haven't applied though, because I rarely use
> the one box I have with PCMCIA sockets and I don't know enough kernel
> stuff.

We can get sysfs working with pcmcia devices in 2.6, but almost
certainly not correct hotplug until 2.7.  I am hopefully going to have
someone here at Novell working on the sysfs bits.

The complete modernization of pcmcia, with hotplug support, proper
device model usage, and removal of cardmgr gunk won't happen without a
lot of work, unfortunately.

This patch is incomplete, I think, BTW.

	Robert Love