[patch] wireless network support

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Wed May 26 03:09:15 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 11:28 +0200, Owen Fraser-Green wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Yay, I think this is quite nice. One could wonder whether this is
> > stretching what the HAL should do; my take on that is that it makes
> > good sense to do this; I mean, it's the same thing we do for wired
> > networks with the property net.ethernet.link. I'm curious what other
> > people think?
>
> IMHO it's a very good thing.
>
> > My only concern is that might cause a storm of D-BUS signal emissions
> > and callouts; Kay talked about adding attributes to properties so
> > perhaps one day we could say something like
> >
> >  hal_property_set_attribute (d, "net.wireless.network0.noise",
> >                              HAL_PROP_ATTR_NO_CALLOUT|
> >                              HAL_PROP_ATTR_NO_MASS_EMISSION);
>
> I've thinking for a while that something like this will be necessary for
> some properties as there will inevitably be more such "continuous"
> properties. An alternative solution would be to make them more discrete
> by deciding only to send the value every few seconds for example but I
> don't think this would be very satisfactory.

Oh, I really like this idea. The problem may be solved by setting
something like HAL_PROP_ATTR_UPDATE_INTERVAL.

> For quite a few of the continuous property use cases it would probably
> be nice, from the client's point of view, to only receive a signal when
> the value passes a certain threshold. The WLAN monitor applet could warn
> when the signal strength is too low, another applet could warn when disk
> space was too low (the property I was thinking of that got me started
> thinking about this subject) etc. But I don't really know how best to
> solve it...

Nice feature , but do we really want "per connection property
attributes"?

Btw:
Any idea that should not get lost over the time, may go into the TODO.
Please feel free to add anything valuable at:
http://freedesktop.org/Software/HalTODO

thanks,
Kay